Nothing goes down better with an afternoon cup of tea than a slice of Swiss roll. Keep it simple with a jam filling and a smattering of caster sugar on the top for the perfect treat no one can refuse.
3 tbsp jam / lemon curd
UPDATE: I have remade this recipe to be gluten free, it worked fine with the simple substitute of Gluten free self raising flour. No addition xanthium gum needed.
- Light oven to gas mark 6 / 200°C
- Line the tin with grease-proof paper
- Crack eggs into a large bowl and add sugar
- Whisk eggs until thick and light in colour
- Do the test to see if the mixture has been whisked enough
- Fold in flour using a metal spoon
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown
- Sprinkle sugar over new piece of greasepaint paper
- Tip cooked Swiss roll onto sugared paper
- Quickly cut the edges off
- Cover sponge with jam
- Roll, use the paper to help you
- Place into container and allow to cool.