Articles contain paid and affiliate links
I always have a stash of craft ideas to hand for the kids. These cute pet rocks made from painting or drawing on stone are always a hit.
Read how to create a diy dog, cat, rabbit and dinosaur cute characters inspired by Coding Critters from Learning Resources. See how I made Ranger, Scamper, Rumble and Bopper in this step by step guide.
Pet rocks supplies
You will need:
- Smooth white or lightly coloured rocks / pebbles
- Either posca pens, sharpies or acrylic paint
- Optional – varnish to seal the rocks
Pet rock – Ranger dog
To make the dog
- Start by drawing or painting the nose central on the rock
- Then add eyes, remembering to keep the white dots.
- Add rounded triangles for the ears
- Finally add a smile and a tiny dot for the tongue
- Optional – you could leave the dog the colour of your pebble or colour a light brown.
Pet rock – Rumble dinosaur
To make the dinosaur pet rock
- Choose a pebble that has a flat wide surface
- Colour in blue leaving the area of the eyes untouched
- Add in the eyes and nose shape in black
- Then add the green horns
- Finally add in a smile in black
Pet rock – Bopper rabbit
To make the rabbit
- Choose a pebble that is oval in shape
- Draw the ears on in blue
- Then outline in yellow
- Add a pink nose
- Finally finish with the eyes and smile
How to make Scamper the cat
To make Scamper the cat pebble design
- Colour the pebble in grey, leaving the areas for the nose and eyes.
- Add the eye detail in black
- Then colour in the nose pink
- Finally add ears and a cheeky smile
What are Coding Critters?
‘Screen-free, interactive coding pets. Each Coding Critter will introduce basic coding and programming skills in an engaging and hands-on way.’