Some articles on craftwithcartwright.co.uk may contain affiliate links.
Why not have a go at making some bread hedgehogs with the kids. My kids love getting their hands in the warm dough and it’s great to shape and model. Very few ingredients needed and they are a super healthy snack.
As featured on BuzzFeed.
To make my bread hedgehogs
- 300g Strong white flour
- 1/2 x 5ml spoon salt
- 1x 15ml spoon oil
- 1 sachet quick acting yeast (7g)
- 200ml warm water
- Preheat the oven to 220c or gas mark 8.
- Grease or line the baking tray
- Place the four and salt into the mixing bowl.
- Stir in the yeast.
- Make a well in the centre of the fur and add water water and oil.
- Work into a soft dough with your hands.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 – 10 minutes until smooth.
- Divide the dough into 4-8 equal pieces.
- Pat and roll each piece into shapes and place on the baking tray.
- To shape into hedgehogs, roll into a ball and snip with kitchen scissors, pull out a snout shape and add some currants for eyes.
- Leave to rise until doubled in size.
- Brush bread rolls with a little milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the rolls sound hollow when tapped on the base.
- Leave to cool on a cooling rack.
Want a free printable recipe sheet?
By opting in, I agree to being sent correspondence by Craft with Cartwright. This may include use of my name, tracking my clicks and targeted marketing. I understand that I’m able to opt-out at anytime.