Articles contain paid and affiliate links
Free for you today a beautiful simple butterfly cross stitch design. Just download the free PDF file at the bottom of the post. If you like my designs why not visit my Etsy shop and take a look.
Have you joined Club Craft Cartwright yet on Facebook? It’s a great place to chart all things crafts related.
New to cross stitch?
Buy the kit to get stitching!
You will need:
You can also find lots more cross stitch goodies in my Amazon Store.
- 14 count aida
- DMC embroidery thread
- Embroidery hoop
- Embroidery scissors
- Optional - a thimble
- Start by printing off your pattern and checking it's dimensions
- Cut the fabric to larger than the pattern dimensions and fit in your hoop
- Tighten the hoop to secure the fabric
- Find the center of your pattern and the center of your fabric design
- Start stitching from the center
- Cut a length of embroidery floss no longer than the length of your arm
- Separate it into two stands and keep the remaining four for later
- Thread your needle
- Start stitching from the back of the fabric, holding the loose thread until you have done a few rows of stitching which will keep the end in place.
- Work your stitches all the in same direction, the bottom of the cross should always be the same in every stitch.
- Work in either individual crosses or for longer areas of stitch work the bottom arm of the cross stitch in a row and then stitch back over the row to do the top arm of the cross.
- To finish, ensure the needle is on the back of the fabric. Thread it through the underside of a few stitches and then snip off the loose end.
Want an extra 50 mini motifs to your inbox?
Don’t forget to Pin it for later!
Grab your Free simple butterfly cross stitch
Stitch Count: 49w x 36h
Finished Size: 8.89 cm x 6.53 cm (14 ct./inch)
Cloth’s Color: White
Number of colours: 5
Liked my cross stitch?